Children’s flying without fear session with optional flight £375
Children have fears of flying too sometimes…
Many of us here are parents. We thought how hard it would be for parents of children with a fear of flying to get proper help. We wanted to do something proactive about it and started to accept accompanied young people onto our adult courses. However, we didn’t do this for long as we noticed how tiring it was for young people to be stuck with a roomful of adults all day! So, we have put on something special just for children that is more affordable than two full places on our adult course….and shorter!
The course is aimed at 6 – 12 year old children. Each child will need to be accompanied by one fear free adult for the entire session. Part one The ‘experience day’ is a hands on session so that there is plenty to see and touch. Such as safety equipment, emergency doors, slide rafts, galley areas and most of the other key parts of flying. If your child is older than 12, you are still welcome to attend but it may be too ‘young’ for them?
14 – 16? Please contact us directly to discuss coming onto our regular adult course. This will cost two full places on our premium course. Over 16? You are welcome to attend our adult course unaccompanied.
Main elements of the course:
- Held at the Virgin Atlantic training centre in Crawley, near Gatwick
- Three hours+ course held in one of our ground aircraft mock ups*
- Dedicated staff to look after you. (Crew safety trainer and therapist)
- Run in a small group (no more than 10 children)
- Costs £375 - for a child (6-12 years) and one fear free adult/parent/carer
- There will be some light refreshments but please bring your own if you want to. Please let us know of any dietary requirements.
Then, you are welcome to leave or…
- We can join the adult flying without fear course held at a local hotel. From here, we will make our way to our specially chartered jet aircraft (It will be either a Virgin aircraft or a partner airline we have chartered) for a short flight with full narration. Please note that this part of the course is optional and no refunds will be given if you decide not to join the flight option.
- We will stay in our own group as much as we can. It is only right to point out that you may see adults from the adult flying without fear course looking elated, laughing, tearful, quiet, noisy or worried as we make our way to the narrated flight. This is normal behaviour when people are facing their fears. Please prepare your young person that this might happen and it is a normal part of beating a fear. We all behave differently when facing our fears.
*The aircraft mock ups are used for crew training so are exactly the same as our fleet in terms of seat pitch etc. These mock ups do not move.
12th November Gatwick. 1120 – 1830 Approximately
Dear fwf, “I have been meaning to contact you for some time to thank you once again for the course you ran for children. I brought my son Elliot along and was very pleased with the way the morning was run. Following the day Elliot said that he would be ‘prepared to try flying.’ My husband booked a flight from Stansted to Glasgow for the two of them and this took place on September 12th. They went to watch Celtic play football which was an experience in itself, but for me waiting at home for news, it was brilliant to get a text from Elliot saying,‘Landed safely, I really enjoyed it, great views from 36,000ft.’ From what he said I think the flight obviously helped but the biggest factor for him was the information he got from the pilot, it all made sense to him and allayed the fears that he had accumulated. I thought it was great that all the children’s questions were dealt with honestly which can’t have been easy. I can only thank you all again and continue to recommend you to anyone who asks me about the course.” Regards, Paula Hawkins
Oscar attended the children’s course today and had a great time over all with just a little wobble at take off! Previously he had been petrified at the mere sight of a plane, now he says he is ready to fly again. The team involved were fantastic; Howard “Mind Man” did a fantastic job relating calming psychology techniques to an 8 year old; Adelle was able to answer all his questions to alleviate his worries, and again was able to put it in a way he could understand (he explained the idea of “lift” to his sister after the course); Janine’s support and reassurance throughout was invaluable – as we left the hotel, he said he was missing her! Would recommend this to any parent, couldn’t be more impressed with how it went. Thank you all! Oscar’s Dad.
Please note. The children’s course is great and has had some great reviews. However, if you as the parent, have a fear of flying, please get your own fear cured first as there is a danger you could undo the good work your child achieves. Also, please involve your young person in the decision. We know that this sound obvious and it is not meant to be patronising, but if your child says that they don’t want to do it… please don’t book the course. When, and only when, they say they really want to get over it the fear and want to join our course…then we would love to see them.